Friday, February 25, 2011

Low Carb.....Having issues

Whenever Rod and I would discuss losing weight he would immediately throw out "When are we starting Low Carb?".  I would always grimace b/c well, to me it is not a long term solution and it is not something that I want our children to do.

To be completely fair, 8 years ago when I was having mega issues with trying to get pregnant b/c of this "condition" I have (another post for another time), I was told by my doctor to lose some weight and that it will often times help kick the body in gear (for the record, I didn't get pregnant for another 6 months and lots of other meds later).  I was also told that I am "pre-diabetic" b/c of this condition so 8 years ago we did low carb.  Now, this was BEFORE kiddos and there were people at work that I was doing it with and I easily lost about 20 lbs in about 6 weeks.

So, I know that this works but I want to be a good example of what to eat to our kids.  Yes, (shut-up please) I know that to be a good example of healthy living I should do some sort of exercise.  (shut-up pretty please) And well, it is definitely not well rounded.

Something happened on Sunday evening and when Rod said "When are we going to start Low Carb?  Tomorrow?"  I said "OK".  Now really what was I thinking?  Cooking which is normally something that I enjoy is now something that I almost dread.  It is hard to come up with food that is good to eat for Rod and I and that the kids will get the nutrients that they need.  I also hate cooking differently for all of us.

I am already hating the same cheese, meet, pickles and nuts.  It seems like every meal.  Oh, and salad with meat and cheese on it.  Oh, yeah, green beans.

So, today I am whining.  I cut up a pear for Jared's lunch today.  Would've been nice to take a bit.  Or maybe eat a banana muffin I made last week.  Or maybe one of those clementines sitting on my counter.

Ah, but I've already lost some weight.  Not sure what the officially number is since I didn't weigh myself Monday morning.  But I know it is a little bit but I am not sure how long I can stand the monotony on my poor taste buds!

3 comments:

  1. thank you SO much for posting this... right this very minute i am in a place where i just need to laugh, and you helped! thanks... (shut up) :)hahahahahahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, since we have the same medical issue... :-) I thought I would share that I am right there with you. I started back on low- carb Jan. 3 and I have lost close to 35 lbs in 2 months. It does work even without much exercise. Our bodies truly respond to this diet.

    I do have a tip for you. If you like Broccoli or cauliflower...Make Spagetti sauce (lots of meat)add a little sauce, take out about 2 cups for you and Rod and add the rest of the sauce for the kids. Make noodles for the kids make as normal for them and toss yours in with the broccoli or cauliflower and add parmesan. I love this and I really get the Marinara flavor of having spagetti. You also don't really taste the flavor of the veggie. It might be worth a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, Erica! :) I haven't cheated...big. I did have a spoonful of peanut butter. But I ate it off the spoon and it was a much better alternative to what I thought about! :)

    I'll have to try the marinara with meat sauce. Believe it or not, Rod hates broccoli. The kids like it but not Rod. I thought about making chili with lots of beans and meat as well. I might try it - probably would work better for Rod if I used cauliflower. He's weird that way! :)

    Good luck in the job hunt! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - they mean the world to me! I love to read them and promise to come visit your site too!