Friday, May 13, 2011

My Lamp

This lamp has sat beside my bed for quite some time.  It is an "ok" lamp.


I took it outside for its pictures and tried to get a nice closeup to show how pretty it is.  I really hate that lampshade and the shiny brassy lamp.....  But I love our deck with pergola! :)

Anyway,  I spray painted the base black.  It took a couple of coats to fully cover it.

THAT was the easy part!

Now it was the lamp shade's turn!

I disassembled the accordion from the hard plastic inner liner.  It went "OK".  All right - a little less than ok.

See the hole in the shade on the top right of it?  Yeah.  That is just one of several - all though I think that one is the largest. :)

I decided I couldn't let that stop me.  It looked ugly before and I knew I had plans for it.  I kept telling myself that it couldn't look much worse! :)

So I took out some ribbon that I had bought and my glue gun.  I started going around the lampshade giving nice little poofs.  I am sure that is not the official word for it, but that is the word that comes to mind.

Now, with my "poofs" I decided not to get all hung up in the details.  There was no way I was going to consistently measure all around this shade.  I knew I had to be ok with that - I am just too impatient.

Well, I am a BAD judge of how much ribbon I need.  I needed oodles more.  So, I went hunting and found another roll.

Great!

It didn't last long enough either.  So this wonderful project that I hoped to get done in a couple of hours then turned into a 2 day affair!

We were going out last night anyway.  Rod had to buy black dress clothes so that he could run camera for Notre Dame's graduation next week.  So we were going shopping and I ran into Hobby Lobby and picked up 2 more spools of ribbon that were on sale for $2 each.

So I got to work on my lamp shade this afternoon.  I finally got it done.

Again each ribbon row has different amounts of "poofs" in them.  But I kinda like it! :)

Maggie approves and that is saying a lot since it isn't even PINK OR PURPLE! :)

Here is a pillow from our bed so you can see why I chose the ribbon I did?

One day, maybe I will give a house tour.   Then you can see it where it should go next to our big bed.

By the way, do you see that dark blue in the corner of the pics?  Yep another Indiana storm on the way!

Don't you think that this is much better than the brassy accordion? :)

Live Big! :)

Linking up here:
At the Picket Fence
Funky Junk Interiors
Tatertots and Jello
SAS Interiors
Little Lucy Lu
Sew Many Ways
Sit Relax and Read
Boogieboard Cottage
Debbie Doos
Between Naps on the Porch
Serendipity Chic Design
Thrifty Decor Chick
Reasons to Skip the Housework
The Stories of A2Z
Not Just a Housewife
Today's Creative Blog
I HEART Naptime
DIY by Design
Savvy Southern Style
Someday Crafts
Elements Interiors
Making the World Cuter
Thrifty Decorating
Saved by Love Creations
Thrifty 101
Delightful Order
House of Hepworths
Beyond the Picket Fence

33 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! That is amazing!! I never would have dreamed you could turn that brassy zig zaggy thing into something so cute! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Cute! Love the black base!! Great job!!

    Hugs ~~ Suz

    inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beyond cute!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the way it is so dressed up the look is very chic come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just fantastic Rachel! It looks like something from a little boutique store. :-) You did a great job and we love that you shared this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa
    P.S. Totally cracked up that you took the lamp outside for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is GREAT!
    I'm in the process of making over a lamp - but mine isn't nearly this awesome!
    Thanks a bunch for linking up!
    ~Bec :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun!!! I love it! Hi, Its Meme from Screaming Meme...I want to personally invite you to come visit my blog and sign up for my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Giveaway! I hope to see you there! Now, I am off to read some more of your creative blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I'd like to invite you to post it on Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week, I hope you can join in. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my that was a good idea..it looks so pretty. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great, Rachel! It works so well with your pillow. Great idea to use ribbon to get the ruffled/pleated look lampshade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had great bones to work with on this one. The transformation is to die for! I am loving the french country appeal you have given it...

    Thanks for linking to "Meet Me On Monday"....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving the ruffles! So cute!! -Juli
    ahenandherchicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job! The style of lamp really fits in with the black and cream theme!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very Cute! I'm gonna have to use ribbon on my next lamp project. Thanks for the Idea:) ~ Rachel absolutelylovingmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! Thanks for the inspiration. I hope you will link this project up to Thrifty Thursday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is absolutely adorable! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Job well done! I found you over at Savvy Southern Style WUW. Love your "new" lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is absolutely amazing!!! I'm featuring that next week! :) Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats great! I just started following you and look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,blog hopping from the Thrifty Thursday blog hop. I'm your new follower. I would love if you could return the favor.
    http://freerecipehealthbeauty.blogspot.com

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!! Very neat!!

    I am blog hopping today and I am happy to stop by your blog!!

    Please stop by either or both of my blogs (and become a follower if you aren't one already):

    So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

    Jessicas Lil Corner is where I blog about family and life at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

    Have a Happy Thursday and a blessed weekend! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! You did an amazing job on this lamp. Stopping by from Debbiedoos, nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That came out adorable! I knew that painting the brass would improve the lamp immeasurably. . . but I didn't expect the ruffled shade to make such an impact. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's really nice and I don't usually like frilly things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This turned out great! I do like it much better. I'm jelous of all you creative types.

    I'm a new follower from Thrifty Thursday. http://www.grandmasguidetolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this lamp!!!! What a great idea:)
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooohh! I love the new look! The painting on the base turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your ruffle lamp, perfect.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Rachel. Just wanted to let you know that I featured this lamp over at my blog today....

    Have a great day....
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just LOVE this! Your 'poofs' are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I saw you on Creative Bloggers Party. I'm your newest public follower. I love the fabric it is fantastic. I am so impressed with all the talent I found in this party. I would appreciate you following back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I would also appreciate if you would like me in facebook http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and in twitter @DeniseLillaRose. I always follow back. Just leave me a note so I know you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yay! You came. I love how this ruffly lamp turned out. Linking this up with us made the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop better and more special. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - they mean the world to me! I love to read them and promise to come visit your site too!