Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Little Girl's Room


When we had our Major home redo, Maggie wanted her room pink.  She was 3 and she had cancer and well, if she wanted pink she got pink.  I tried to pick a pink that wasn't too over the top and I am not sure how well I did.  Of course, at the time, my mind was scattered and I was trying to make oodles of decisions (some major, some minor, and some uber major).  She has oodles and oodles of schtuff that was given to her while she was in treatment and keeping it all organized is quite the challenge.  [In some ways, it is harder for me to let go of things than her.  For example: the Carebear that she got for taking her first dose of oral Tylenol at Riley.  The nurse brought it to her as a reward.  I remember that but she really doesn't.]

Anyway....


We kept the mini-blinds that came with the house when we bought it.  However, we finally replaced the mini-blinds with a wee bit nicer ones that had thicker slats in them.  (No, I don't believe that I am Irish....)


Then I was stuck.  What kind of window "dressing" to do for her room.  Now please keep in mind, not only did she get her pink room, but she also got a Disney Princess comforter and sheet set.  I was not too keen on the idea of dropping a bunch of moolah on curtains that she might not like for very long.  Sooo... I kept searching.

I had this chenille bedspread that I have kept around here for years.  I used it in the "nursery" to cover the light blue recliner that we had in there.  I loved the fringe on it and how quaint and vintage it is.

I had used curtains years ago to "dress" up a window cheaply and no, I didn't just hang it over the window.  So I finally thought that I would try it with the bedspread.

I went to my hubby's stash of stuff in our basement and he has a bunch of dressy hooks.  You know, the ones with details on it.  I stuck those in the holes that were there from our previous curtain rod.

Then I took rubber bands and made a rosette out of the bedspread at one corner until I found the right dimensions to make it fit on both sides.

My next step was to put a hook in the wall next to the so that I could "drape" it.

I bought some ribbon to make a bow for tying back the "curtain".
Personally, I think that it looks darling.  It adds some charm to her room.

Of course, there are Princess wall stickers above her window and all over her room too.

In the picture above, you can see the hooks that that we got at Target on clearance for like $5.  Maggie had a horrible time being able to hang up her things.  Now she has a perfect place to hang her jackets and bags.

What do you think?

Linking up with
Not Just a Housewife
Debbie Doos
Stories of A to Z
Elements Interiors
Passionately Artistic

7 comments:

  1. I love her room! And the curtain, very cute & crafty! The plaque next to her window caught my eye too, I have that same saying(but with vinyl lettering) on the girls' wall. Good job Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luv the room and curtain, this is brilliant using a bedspread.
    Don't forget to add it to our weekly party for our readers to discover.
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/weekly-talent-search-with-linking-party.html
    Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great. It's different and that's why I like it. Good for you to give your girl what she wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think her window treatment is just darling!! What a sweet room for what sounds like a sweet little girl. I ENJOYED reading your profile. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so precious. I love love love the window treatment. So unique and girly. Thanks for sharing at my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! What a lucky girl! (In more ways than one as I read your story.) She deserves it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. That window treatment is so unique and it glittering. The world 's most beautiful photograph of nature is very easy to see from your home window. It is best place for weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - they mean the world to me! I love to read them and promise to come visit your site too!